Meter readers perform regular readings and verification of electrical meters for all utility customers.
Meter readers perform regular readings and verification of electrical meters for all utility customers. (Source: Power Workers’ Union)
Most employers require a minimum of a high-school diploma, as well as a valid driver’s license.
National Occupational Standard
NOS are a benchmark of the knowledge and abilities needed to be competent in a particular occupation. Developed by current job incumbents, NOS are a collection of the individual competencies that make up the whole picture of an occupation.
Related NOC code:
- 14110 – Survey interviewers and statistical clerks
- Many workers, like Utility Arborists and Meter Readers, spend their days outside and are exposed to harsh weather conditions, including intense heat and cold, and adverse weather events (such as snow and ice storms, heavy winds, and rain).
- Various workers, like Utility Arborists and Wind Turbine Technicians are required to work from heights on a daily basis. They may be required to manually climb trees and must be able to use aerial lifts and bucket trucks.
- Many technicians, mechanics and electricians are also required to work in confined spaces.
- Asset maintenance workers often require manual dexterity and some degree of flexibility and physical strength to complete their maintenance and repair work.